2016-17 Student Groups of Excellence: Alpha Kappa Psi, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated, Filipino American Student Association, Catholic Campus Ministry, American Medical Student Association, Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority, Inc, Black Business Student Association
Become a Student Group of Excellence
Once groups are registered and recognized, they can go on to be awarded a Group of Excellence.
To become a Group of Excellence, student groups must achieve the 4 pillars of excellence:
- Learning – student groups must attend a Leadership Academy in the Fall and the Emerging Leaders Conference in the Spring, and must complete 2 educational programs each year presented by Peer Leadership Educators
- Service – student groups must engage in 2 community service projects each year
- Scholarship – student groups must maintain an average GPA of at least 3.0
- Community – collaborating with at least 2 other student groups on an event or service project
Once a student group has achieved all 4 recognition standards, they will be rewarded with their name on a visible plaque in the student organization cubicles, website recognition, and Groups of Excellence will be announced at the annual UNCG Excellence Awards Banquet in the Spring.
As a reminder…
The minimum level to maintain registration includes:
- Send representative to ONE Registration Kick Off meeting. These meetings are generally held in the Spring semester.
- Submit Annual Registration Form via Spartan Connect by the deadline given in the registration kick off meeting.
- Maintain accurate roster including officers/leadership positions on Spartan Connect
- Complete End of Year Survey during the annual registration period.
End of the Year Survey:
- It is the responsibility of the STUDENT GROUP to report, not the student group advisor or CAP staff member
Interested in starting a new student group on campus? We can help you with that! Your first step should be to take a look at the groups that already exist on campus. If you’re not seeing one that meets your needs, you can start one that does. This flowchart will be helpful as you determine the necessary steps for the type of group you seek to start.
Students wishing to establish first-time recognition with a group OR wishing to reactivate a group that has lost recognition must complete the following procedures before they can begin to function as a student group.
- Visit Spartan Connect and click on “Organizations” at the top. Confirm that there is not another group that is similar to your own.
- Review the regulations on becoming a group in the Student Group Manual.
- Find five (5) UNCG students interested in your group, each with a 2.5 cumulative GPA or higher.
- Find a full time UNCG faculty or staff member to serve as your advisor
- Wrist a Constitution using the “How to Write a Student Group Constitution” information at the end of the Student Group Manual.
- Login to Spartan Connect using your iSpartan username. Click on “Organizations” at the top, then the “Register” button under “Register A New Organization”
- Submit your paperwork by hand or through the online submission process to the CAP office for approval. The approval process may take up to 4 weeks, though we endeavor to complete approval as soon as possible.
- Meet with the Assistant Director for Programs after your paperwork has been approved
- All sports groups must be affiliated with the Club Sports Council and meet with the Assistant Director for Intramurals and Club Sports in the Department of Campus Recreation
All social Greek-letter groups must be meet the criteria for establishing those groups (see the student group manual for detailed requirements)